Monday, November 16, 2015

Back on Track to Forgiveness

I recently had a conversation with a friend about how far 'off track' she felt her life was.  I found myself telling her it isn't about how far off track you feel you are or how many times you go off the rails, but whether you get yourself back ON track.

And that's what I am doing with my weight loss journey.  It hasn't been easy.  It hasn't even been a consistent effort.  But I am still working on getting back on track- and truly, that is what counts.

I still need to learn to not beat myself up for slipping and gaining some of the weight back.  I need to learn how to forgive myself.  I am pretty good at forgiving others for their shortcomings and failures, but I hold myself to a higher standard.  Sometimes, that's a great thing because I strive to be an overachiever.  Sometimes, the drive to be the best leaves me feeling let down when I don't feel that I have achieved the goals I set for myself.

I have begun to forgive myself in the last few weeks.  And what do you know?  The weight is starting to come off.  Who'd have thunk??

I think holding myself accountable is critical, but not stressing about my mistakes has given me the freedom to be me and listen to my body and not what the media would have me believe is the best thing for me.

So if I can pass on one message it would be to learn to forgive.  Yourself in particular.  You are not perfect and that's ok.  You're perfectly you and more than what you weigh, or where you work, or how much savings you have, or how many friends you have--- are you happy on your path?  If you are- then it is the right one for you.  Now own it and forgive yourself if you get a little off track.  It happens to the best of us- to the best of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment