Thursday, August 6, 2015

Weak Ankles

I know that walking is not necessarily the most vigorous work out, but it's one I can do on my breaks at work-  one I can do with friends- one I can do with my weak ankles.

For those of you who don't know, I managed to roll both of my ankles (at the same time) early this spring while headed out to work.  It wasn't icy.  It wasn't all that cold.  I wasn't wearing towering heels or in a terrible hurry.  I simply stepped off of my back porch and my left ankle gave out.  When I tried to catch myself with my right ankle, I rolled that one too.  I found myself laying flat on my back in a puddle of my spilled coffee staring up at the sky thinking "Who in the world am I going to get to come scrape me off of my patio?"

It couldn't be the hubs, as he hadn't gotten home from work until after 3:30am and he was upstairs completely konked out...  A neighbor?  Nah, I don't really want them to see me like this:  ripped knee in my brand new pants, drenched in coffee, and whimpering like a 6 week old puppy.  So I tried to stand... NOT my smartest decision of the day and let's be honest- it wasn't even 7 a.m. and I wasn't off to a great start.

I proceeded to crawl up the two steps and into my kitchen where as I tried to tenderly peel my boots off while my dogs assisted in the cleaning off of the coffee now dripping down my face.  Again, not my proudest moment.  It took me several minutes to roll myself onto my feet but then I did manage to hobble my way into my laundry room and change into a different outfit, slip on some flats and make my way to work, mewling all the way.  By mid-afternoon, both of my ankles were so swollen, my boss sent me home.  Oh yeah, they were that bad.

I have spent the last few months babying my ankles and still trying to find a way to exercise.  NOT an easy task when most of the activities I was involved in, Focus T25, Zumba, volleyball all involve jumping and having good balance.  No dice.  So now I walk.  I try to walk every single day and my FitBit helps to keep me accountable.  Walking may not make you sweat buckets, but it is purported to be a terrific way to stay fit and I am now a believer.  Despite this crazy, embarrassing setback, I've been able to get the scale to inch in the right direction.  Winning!

So I say:  "Walk on, sista, walk on!"

No comments:

Post a Comment