Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Case of the Ex

Do you know what the only thing worse than trudging into the gym on a day where all you can think about is sleep is?  It's walking into the gym with your butt dragging, no makeup on, big old bags under your eyes and bumping into an EX.  Oy.

Now this ex of mine, who for the sake of this entry we'll call Winston* was not a long term relationship.  He was truly barely a blip on the radar that was my young love life.  However, he keeps turning up like a bad penny!!  The first few times I bumped into him was usually at a bar.  Then he'd ask if I'd like to go out with him again and I'd explain my long-term relationship status.  He eventually got the hint and luckily, he has stopped asking.  UNfortunately, he still wants to wander around the gym following me making small talk.  And it seemed that every time I'd turn around, there he'd be.

Of all the gyms in the world, he had to go and join mine.  I get that he now lives in the Port Washington area, but he's a musclehead so I thought maybe some other gym would suit him better.  Not so much.  Now, I am not truly bothered that it happens to be this particular ex that's a member of my gym...  it's just that an ex IS a member of my gym and a smile and a wave aren't enough to pacify him.  It doesn't help that we often seem to be there at the same time.  Selfish as it may be, I like my comfort-zone as judge-free and ex-free as possible.

Truthfully, I usually like bumping into people I know at the gym, as long as they are people (usually women) that I can chat up about what is working for them and what's not.  No way I'm going to ask an ex what his best advice for dropping a few pounds is.  And of course his first comment yesterday was "I haven't seen you here in a while.  Why's that?"  Big eyebrow raise to accompany said statement.  Go away Winston, I don't need you to judge me- I've done enough of that myself for the two of us.

My gym is a public place, no doubt.  I cannot and will not try to control who works out there.  Believe it or not, I do have a better grip on reality than that.

I did learn something last night the hard way:  The moral of this story is:   ALWAYS remember your headphones!  If you do happen to forget your iPod, just plug the cord into your waistband.   :)




*Names have been changed to protect myself from anyone knowing who that ex really is!  ;)

1 comment:

  1. you can also plug it into your elliptical/bike/treadmill too ;)

    I miss the gym. I really do, but to try to catch up on debt, I put my membership on hold for now :(

    ReplyDelete