Friday, June 22, 2012

Surviving Vacation

I just got back from vacation.  Normally, that is no reason to celebrate!  But this time, I do have one thing to be proud of.  I only gained 2 lbs!

Sounds silly, right?  To me, it isn't.  I used to come home 10 lbs heavier than when I left.  Then again, in those days, it only took me a couple of weeks to lose it again.

This vacation was full of fishing, eating, drinking and relaxing~ so how did I not put on more lbs?  I think I have an idea.  I always scoff at those crazy articles in fitness and health magazines talking about finding a gym wherever you happen to be vacationing.  And I still say "Yeah right!"  This vacation, I just made a concerted effort to walk, climb stairs and not eat EVERYTHING on my plate.  I'm actually starting to get the hang of this 'stop eating when you are full' thing.  Sounds crazy, I know.

We took a hike around a gorgeous county park, there are 44 stairs going down to the lake that my family's cabin is on, and I have a very active dog.  Those things primarily are the only reason I think I survived this vacation with so little weight gain.  I'm sorry people, but there is no way I am not going to eat basically what I want on vacation.  I also get to indulge in a few extra beers.  That's the way I like to unwind.  Healthy?  Probably not.  But everyone deserves a break sometimes.  So I decided not to sweat it, but to make a few healthier, more active choices.  And it worked like a charm.  Chalk one up for the good guys!

Now, I do have to go through the trouble of losing those extra 2 lbs all over again, but trust me- a week's vacation was more than worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment