Tuesday, June 5, 2012

It's All In My Head

Sadly, my scale is still not moving as quickly as I had hoped.  So, I have decided to judge my progress by instead looking at my self-confidence instead.  I know, I know...  all women's magazines say to think about how you FEEL, not how you look.  It sounds cheesy and I used to roll my eyes until they almost fell out of my head at this advice.  Until I experienced it.  Weird, right?

For as long as I can remember, I have been growling at the jeans drawer in my dresser.  Still, I cannot bring myself to throw away some of my precious smaller sizes so that I can have a 'measure' of my success.  Not surprisingly, every time I fail to comfortably zip a pair of these 'goal' jeans, I pout and curse my slow progress.  I am now realizing that even though I'm not where I want to be yet, I am making real progress, if only in my head.

Just recently, I have been anxiously seeking women's sweatshirts and t-shirts.  I know that sounds like a 'what else would you be looking for?' kind of thing, but for me it's not.  I have forever worn men's sweatshirts.  Now, I want to find sweatshirts built for me.  A woman.  My shape isn't perfect.  I am curvy.  I'm still rockin' the pooch.  But I have earned this shape.  I go to the gym more often than not.  And that is something to celebrate!  I have succeeded in making a lifestyle change that I can live with.  And I will be exponentially healthier down the road because of it.  Chalk one up  for the good guys!

She wears short-shorts?  Dream on, Nair.  These legs were not meant for polite company!  Personally, I have always been of the mind that I would rather wear jeans than shorts.  More coverage means less worry about spilling out of the shorts in a sausage-casing exploding sort of way.  But now?  I'm too old for that nonsense!  I don't need to melt when it is 95 degrees out just because my vanity forbids a pair of shorts.  Besides... these legs have seen countless miles in the gym.  They are far from perfect, but they are strong.  True, they will never grace the pages of a magazine, but they have served me well and they deserve to be appreciated.

I never believed that "judge your progress by how you feel" craziness, but it's true.  I feel better about myself.  I can appreciate my body not just for how it looks, but for what it can do for me.  If you are not there yet, have faith.  You'll get there. Take it from a skeptic:  The magic is transforming not just your body, but your mind in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment