Monday, May 7, 2012

If at First You Don't Succeed...

TRY, TRY AGAIN!  We have all heard this saying.  What is most frustrating about it, is that it is so true.  Especially when it comes to losing weight.  For our health's sake, for our confidence sake, for our peace of mind.

And I find myself trying again more often than not.  This journey of mine has not been an easy one.  So many pitfalls, so little time.  I had put 5 pounds back on.  I was discouraged.  With the encouraging voices of my precious girlfriends ringing in my ears...  I picked myself up off of the couch and got back on that blasted elliptical.

I am in the process of trying to 'shock' my body into losing weight.  I am trying to switch up the workouts, but still get my calorie burn in.  Not easy when your gym doesn't offer classes.  That's ok.  I am thinking outside of the box and got a piece of advice from a friend that I'd like to share.  She said her trainer told her to simply "do one thing a week that makes you uncomfortable."  If you are not a runner- run.  If you hate the stationary bike- do it anyway.  And the rule of thumb he gave her was to give it 15 minutes.

Personally, I despise the gazelle-like ellipticals.  They hurt.  They make me feel like a gawky teenager again.  They make me think my coordination ranks right up there with most toddlers.  But I did it anyway.  And hated every second of it.  I cursed the gym, the world, my well-intentioned friend.  Until I got on the scale 2 weeks later.  I have lost those pesky 5 pounds I had put back on.

So it is now my mission to do some kind of exercise that I hate or that I would normally avoid because they make me uncomfortable.  I can do anything for 15 minutes a week.  And last week, i did a full program on the 'gazelle.'  28 horrible minutes.  But I was proud of myself for doing it.  And it's working...  so I'm pressing on, sista.  Are you up to the challenge??


No comments:

Post a Comment