Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Zumba is No Joke

I have now tried the somewhat new exercise craze, Zumba, twice.  Keep in mind that I am not the most coordinated person in the world, but I love to dance.  To the beat of my own drummer, of  course!

After reading one of my blog posts, a friend, S, suggested I join her for a night of Zumba.  Truthfully, I was nervous and unsure because I tend to trip over my own feet just walking down the sidewalk!  But after being assured that no one cares, I decided my work out routine gets a little drab, so I'd give it a shot.  After all, what did I have to lose?

I loved it!!  SO much fun and a killer workout at the same time!  Our instructor actually turns the lights off in the gym as well.  I'm not sure if that's so it feels more like a dance club, or so that those of us who can't manage many of the steps don't feel so silly, but I love it!!  The steps range from very complicated to beginner.  Another friend I dragged along just last night, T, said after the first song that it was already a better workout than another Zumba class she tried.  :)

We shook our groove things at a very fast pace to keep our heart rates up and laughed at ourselves when we couldn't quite get the hang of a series of moves.  It was a great time and a fabulous departure from my normal gym routine.  In fact, last Tuesday, after Zumba-ing till I dropped on Monday night, I found my elliptical and weight machine routine to be... well... boring!  I still plugged right along, but was secretly wishing that I could Zumba again.

In fact, I think I might make Monday night Zumba a part of my regular routine.  It doesn't hurt that our instructor  has a terrific figure and manages to make the moves look downright sexy!  I find myself wanting to work harder to do the moves just like her.  

If you haven't tried Zumba, I highly recommend it!  It's a blast!  And who thought a mere year ago that my girlfriend 'dates' would involve more exercise than beer and food!?  It's just one more happy, groovy, shimmying step towards a healthier lifestyle!


No comments:

Post a Comment