Wednesday, April 18, 2012

INSANITY!!

Have you seen this INSANITY program that they show on TV??

To put it simply, it looks, well... INSANE!  I guess that's the point.  However, they promise intense results in no time flat.  60 days or some such craziness.  As all infomercial workout programs do.  Yet I found myself comparing the price of purchasing the DVDs to the amount of money I pay for my gym membership.  The DVDs are cheaper (than a full year membership), but not by a lot.

On the other hand, I have finally worked hitting the gym into my regular routine. I am going 3-4x a week, every week.   Now I am afraid to break that newfound cycle.  Plus, am I really going to jump around like a crazy person in my living room?  The idea of a little privacy appeals to me, but then I remember that I do not live alone...  I'd probably trip over my dog, collapse on my cat, and Andy would be trying not to crack up watching my pathetic, uncoordinated attempts to keep up with the hot bodies on the TV.  Yea, probably not for me.

But the results........  -SIGH-    I know they probably are not the same for everyone.  And that you probably have to eat dry celery and carrot sticks washed down my some chunky homemade juice. Yeesh.  But those amazing results........

I cannot lie to myself.  I know these 'cleanse' type diets and rabid exercise programs won't work for me.  The fact of the matter is, I love beer.  I love the occasional cheeseburger.  I will never, ever, ever give up pasta and bread completely.  Even though all of the programs promise big results in two months, I don't want a fast fix.  Now don't get me wrong, I wish this process was speedier.  But I am looking for lasting change.  An entire lifestyle makeover.  I don't just want to look better, I want to feel better, I want to BE better.  And I want to be healthier.  I want to live a better life overall.

No, I am not going to lose weight as fast as someone trying the INSANITY program or the Adkins Diet, but I truly believe that my long-term plan will have healthier, longer lasting results.  Baby steps until I reach my goal and am where I need to be.

So, I may not have that killer beach body in 60 or 90 days, but I am determined to lower my cholesterol, lose a little body fat and whittle my waist.... over time.  Mark my words...  Slow and steady wins the race.

Or maybe, I just like that 'moral' because as most of you know, I happen to be a teensy bit fond of tortoises and turtles.  :)

1 comment:

  1. 90% of people I know are more motivated by going to a gym. I'm one of the few that prefers my at home treadmill, elliptical, and downloaded videos. Every time I talk to an exerciser the first thing I ask is "Are u a gym rat or at-homer?" To each their own, I guess! Great post Heidi, I think about this often.

    ReplyDelete