Monday, February 27, 2012

Is This the Gym or a Runway??

Why is it when I show up at the gym, there are a ton of people walking around in full make-up and clothes that look brand new and match perfectly with their shoes and socks?  Am I mistaken, or is the gym a place to get sweaty and drop the dreaded lbs?  Apparently some of the people at my gym think that it's a fashion show too and that can be intimidating.

Looking your best is definitely a big motivating factor for going to the gym in the first place.  I see it as a place that I don't need make-up to be in public.  I want it to be a safe place where I don't get judged.  Doesn't looking like that's going to happen, but I keep telling myself it can still be that, for ME.  Just last week I strode into the gym wearing sweats that go just past my knees and my winter boots.  Let me tell you, I got more than a couple funny looks.  I go looking like I got dressed in the dark.  For me, the NOT getting ready is part of the joy of going to a gym.  Hell, I'm just going to sweat all over this stuff anyway, right?

Now, I do not intend to offend you if you do your hair to go to the gym.  I just want to know why?  I have often posted on Facebook that I have hit a new personal best and people ask if that means I got more than two phone numbers.  Why is every venue that men and women go to together an opportunity to meet your soul mate?  Do like I did.  Meet your soul mate in a bar.  JUST KIDDING!  Well, we did meet in a bar.

Moving on... I think the gym should be a safe place.  Whether you get dolled up and wear nothing but the newest fashions or like me wear a TMNT shirt, cut off sweats from high school and Christmas socks, the gym should be a place where you are not judged for anything but the fact that you showed up.  Showing up means more than any primping does.

Yea, people- I look funny and I don't match.  But here I am, at the gym, just like you, trying to get healthy.

1 comment: